Have you ever thought to yourself “what’s wrong with me?” or “why can’t I just be like other people?”. I have. I spent years trying to fix myself. I pushed myself out there emulating my extroverted peers. The result? Burnout, and depression as my self-esteem eroded.
The first step to living a great life is accepting yourself, warts and all. You’re an introvert. You also have a hair colour. And while you can dye your hair, your roots always show through in the end.
Here are 5 reasons why being an introvert is a gift:
- You have a 6th sense. You didn’t spend all day quietly observing and all night analysing for nothing. You spot things other people don’t see, you see patterns in things other people don’t. Your intuition is one of your biggest gifts.
- You’re focused. We’re living in an age of distraction. Of notifications, of info-overload, of social media. And while we aren’t immune, we tend to be able to be able to focus more and go deeper into topics than extroverts. This gives us the edge in any job or scenario that requires research.
- You’re a listener. In a world that can’t stop talking, you have the all-too-rare ability to listen. You might be envious of how extroverts make friends with others straight away, but over time you’re ability to listen will begin to shine through forging deeper and longer lasting connections with people.
- You’re knowledgeable. You can’t get enough knowledge, every article you read leads you down another rabbit hole. All the times your spent reading Wikipedia at 3am means that when it comes to a topic that interests you, you’re the expert.
- You know yourself. You’ve spent your whole life looking within, trying to understand who you really are and what your purpose on earth is. As a result you know yourself and where you want to go in life. This is a huge gift and it can be a real surprise to introverts that most people do not know who they are at all. And for that reason confident introverts follow their own path base upon their principles, desires and inclinations. For that reason introverts can live a rich and fulfilling life which is an extremely rare occurrence in this world.
You’re an introvert. Don’t squander it.